Brief History of the Yangon Sailing Club

Yangon Sailing Club has been established since 1924 and developed over the past decades due to the devotion and dedication of its successive Club committees, its sailing members and its hard-working staff.

The Club which started in a humble and moderate way suffered very seriously from the ravages of the Second World War and the subsequent post war economic deprivations.

During the Japanese occupation, the clubhouse was used as a convalescence home.  Rebirth of the club actually took place in June 1948 with new buildings replacing burnt-out ones and the Club’s few remaining precious boats, which had been sunk to avoid destruction, duly recovered and repaired while at the same time new ones were commissioned.

During the period just prior to the country gaining independence, the Club owned a small fleet of (15) Raters, (12) Sharpies and (2) ten-foot Dinghies.

The Club celebrated its 90th Anniversary in 2014 with due pomp and ceremony and is now looking forward to further successes in the new millennium.

The old Clubhouse remained in place until 2005. However, because space for members was limited and facilities required upgrading, a new Clubhouse, a double story building including a fitness room, was generously and kindly donated by U Moe Myint, President of MYF, and his family. The new Clubhouse was constructed on the same location as the old Clubhouse.

During May 2008, cyclone Nargis caused damage to boats and buildings as well as the Clubhouse. The damages were repaired and restored with contributions from Club Members, the Singapore Sailing Community and the Club funds.

The Club’s original fleet has expanded significantly since its founding and today, the Club is the proud owner of (15) Raters, (11) Sharpies, (16) Wooden Optimists, (1) Family Boat, as well as (2) Fiberglass hull motorized rescue boats and (1) 40hp Yamaha Engine (Enduro Electrical Starter Type).

There are (8) Fiberglass Optimist Dinghies owned by the Club’s sailors and (73) Fiberglass Optimist Dinghies owned by the Optimist Dinghy Association of Myanmar.

In addition, there are (8) Int’l 470, (18) Int’l 420, (2) Laser II, (10) Lasers, (1) Enterprise, (1) 29 er, (6) Bytes, (20) Fiberglass Optimists, (23) Sets of Windsurfing Class Boards, (20) Nos. of SUP Boards, (2) Motorized Aluminum Coach Boats and (34) Rib Coach Boats owned by the Myanmar Yachting Federation which are currently kept at the Club. Also, (2) Int’l 420 were donated during 2011 and (2) Lasers were donated during 2014 to the Myanmar Navy Rowing & Sailing Club.

The Myanmar Yachting Federation, in conjunction with the Club Boats Department and with Club facilities, undertook and completed the production of (23) fiberglass Optimist Dinghies during 2010.

The Myanmar Yachting Federation, under the leadership of the Club COB and also in conjunction with the Club Boats Department and facilities, also built eight seaworthy new Half-Raters which were used in the 27th SEA Games held at Ngwe Saung Beach in December 2013.

Leave a Reply